Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This vegan loaf is a great dish to prepare for the vegetarians at your holiday dinners!
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup finely ground rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- In a medium saucepan, bring the lentils and water to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes- until lentils are soft and water is absorbed.
- Heat oil over medium high flame in skillet.
- Sauté onion and carrot until soft.
- Combine lentils, onions, carrots and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix in oats and bread crumbs.
- Push immediately into loaf pan.
- Bake 400°F for 40 minutes.
I made this and it fell apart
I made this last night- my Husband and I really liked it. The texture is great. I added a tomato based topping sort of like my Grandma would put on the meatloaf. I pureed a can of tomatos and added brown sugar, caynne pepper, liquid smoke, salt, and vegan worchestershire sauce. I just spread this over the top when I put it in the oven.