Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of my favourite dishes. Yes, it does take time, mainly in preparing and sauteing the vegetables. Believe me, it is worth it! This recipe serves 9 people, and can easily be made a day ahead. I do the prep at my leisure, quite a relaxing task! The result should be a tasty, tangy bake which needs no more than baked chicken pieces and maybe a large bowl of mixed lettuce leaves with dressing. This is sooo healthy : 5 veggies, plus other healthy ingredients! Do season it well. The flavour improves on standing: I make the whole large dish for the 2 of us, then divide it and keep the 2nd part, covered, in the fridge for the next day. Worth every minute you spend on it, and kids should like it too! DO NOT be put off by the list of ingredients : they are all pretty ordinary, and it's all easily assembled.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, large, chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper, large, seeded and chopped fine (or use yellow)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced fine
- 2 cups zucchini, grated (about 3 medium)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from same lemon)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (of your choice, plus more salt, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, fresh (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped and crushed
- 14 ounces asparagus, salad cuts (about 9 oz drained)
- 3 eggs, largest size
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (not soda)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (optional, but try Chipotle Tabasco, very nice!)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, mature
- Prep the vegetables, which makes it all quicker. Preheat oven to 325 deg F/160 deg C, and generously grease a deep square oven dish, roughly 7 x 7 x 2 inches deep/ 20 x 20 x 5 cm.
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large pot, then add the chopped onion, sweet pepper and celery. Fry, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the grated zucchini and stir into other vegetables Saute for a few minutes, then sprinkle over the lemon zest, juice, sugar, seasoning salt, thyme and garlic. Keep heat quite high right through this sauteeing.
- Drain the asparagus in sieve or colander.
- When the vegetables in the pot are more or less halfway cooked, pull off the heat. There should be no visible liquid. Stir in the asparagus.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, turmeric, pepper and Tabasco (if used) in a bowl. Add more salt if you like.
- Tip or ladle the vegetables into the greased dish. Pour over the egg mixture, and stir in the grated cheese. Mix lightly.
- Bake for about an hour, or until the pie has risen slightly, is light brown on top, and does not wobble when shaken.
- Leave to settle a while, but keep warm. Cut into squares to serve. Will wait happily in a warming oven for a while, and is better tasting the next day!
- Delicious with baked or fried chicken.
Omitted the asparagus, and added extra zucchini, but otherwise made as written. Very nicely spiced! And very pretty - thanks for sharing.<br/>Diane