Recipe by Luv2Cook inNC
I have a lot of cooking for kids cookbooks. This is from my favorite of those, Beyond Macaroni and Cheese. I highly recommend this cookbook. The recipes please the entire family. Anyway, this chowder is a great way to use up a ham roast. I have tweeked the original recipe a bit. It does have a long cooking time, but is well worth it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans green beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups ham, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) soup cans water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup orzo pasta (or noodle or rice of your choice)
- 1 (5 ounce) package au gratin potato mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all ingredients except potatoes and cheddar cheese. Bring to a boil; simmer for 2 hours until carrots tender.
- Add potatoes and sauce packet and cheddar; simmer one more hour.
- Is usually best the second day.
- I watch closely, it does tend to stick to bottom of pan. My mother-in-law taught me a great trick if it does stick put some dry dish detergent in the bottom and let soak over night. It's a miracle in the morning!