Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I modified Carol Bullock's recipe for Frijoles Negros because we only had one can of black beans and I wanted to make up for it by adding a lot of healthy veggies. Turned out really well, I even blended some for my 8 month old who loved it! Use the frozen veggies that include a mix like corn, peas, small diced carrots, lima beans, etc. You want the veggies to be about the same small size.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans
- 1⁄2-1 bag of frozen mixed baby vegetables
- 1 teaspoon better than beef bouillon
- 3⁄4-1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a medium pan, add 1 cup or rice and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium pan.
- Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add cumin and oregano and stir.
- Open the can of beans and pour some of the liquid into the pan and heat until everything softens.
- Add the rest of the beans and liquid, the frozen veggies, the beef boullion and then add enough water (3/4-1 cup) to hold all of the ingredients together nicely.
- Raise heat and bring everything to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar just before serving.