I modified Carol Bullock's recipe for Frijoles Negros because we only had one can of black beans and I wanted to make up for it by adding a lot of healthy veggies. Turned out really well, I even blended some for my 8 month old who loved it! Use the frozen veggies that include a mix like corn, peas, small diced carrots, lima beans, etc. You want the veggies to be about the same small size.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium pan, add 1 cup or rice and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- 3While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium pan.
- 4Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft.
- 5Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- 6Add cumin and oregano and stir.
- 7Open the can of beans and pour some of the liquid into the pan and heat until everything softens.
- 8Add the rest of the beans and liquid, the frozen veggies, the beef boullion and then add enough water (3/4-1 cup) to hold all of the ingredients together nicely.
- 9Raise heat and bring everything to a boil.
- 10Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- 11Add 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar just before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Frijoles Negros
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.5
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: