Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Flautas are crisp, little rolled tacos, sometimes called "taquitos". To reduce the fat content, these flautas are filled with mushroom slices (instead of meat) and are baked (instead of fried). The guacamole was fat-reduced by using tomatillos for a portion of the sauce. This recipe was adapted from, "The Ultimate Low-Fat Mexican Cookbook" by Anne Greer.
For the Flautas
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 portabella mushrooms, sliced in strips
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup diced tomato
For the Skinny Guacamole
- 2 tomatillos, rinsed and quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup diced green chilis
- 3 sprigs cilantro or 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Saute the portobello strips.
- Soften the tortillas by warming them, one at a time, on a comal or a 9" cast iron skillet.
- Place strips of portobello down the center of each softened tortilla and tightly roll up the tortilla as if it were a cigar.
- Seal rolled tortilla with 2 or 3 tooth picks.
- Coat the rolled tortillas on all sides with butter flavored cooking spray, or paint lightly with vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place seam side down on a baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven until crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Skinny Guacamole:.
- Using a blender or food processor, process the tomatillos with the garlic, chiles and cilantro to a puree.
- Add the avocado, in pieces, and the sour cream, processing just enough to combine.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice.
- Rinse scallions with cold water, chop with a knife, and stir in by hand.
- To assemble the dish, place a layer of shredded (or chopped) lettuce on each plate along with diced fresh tomatoes.
- Top with 3 baked flautas per plate.
- Serve the guacamole in individual dipping bowls or drizzle on top of flautas.
- Serve with bottled picante sauce.