1 hr 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
This is two recipes in one - a light turkey and mushroom meatloaf stuffed with french-cut green beans, and an onion gravy to serve with it. From Great American Home Cooking (Collector's Issue 1998)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 onions (2 finely chopped and 2 thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 10 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen French-cut green beans, thawed
Creamy Onion Gravy
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 2Lightly grease a large roasting pan.
- 3In a skillet, cook the CHOPPED onions and the garlic in the butter until soft.
- 4Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Scrape the mixture into a large bowl and let cool.
- 6Add the turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, mustard, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper to the bowl; mix well.
- 7Shape half of the meat mixture into a 14x4-inch loaf, flattening the top.
- 8Place the green beans down the center, leaving a 1 inch border.
- 9Top with the remaining meat mixture, shaping and sealing the loaf to enclose the beans.
- 10Place the SLICED onions around the meat loaf.
- 11Bake for 45 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160F and the loaf is firm to the touch.
- 12Transfer the meat loaf to a cutting board. Leave onions in the pan.
- 13GRAVY: Place the roasting pan with the sliced onions still in it over medium heat.
- 14Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, stirring up onions and any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 15In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and milk, then add the remaining 1 cup chicken broth.
- 16Add flour-broth mixture to the roasting pan; bring to a boil, keep whisking.
- 17Cook until mixture is thickened.
- 18Slice meat loaf and serve with gravy.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie-filled Turkey Loaf With Creamy Onion Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.3
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 156.1 mg
- Sodium 717.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 28.1 g