Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is two recipes in one - a light turkey and mushroom meatloaf stuffed with french-cut green beans, and an onion gravy to serve with it. From Great American Home Cooking (Collector's Issue 1998)
- 4 onions (2 finely chopped and 2 thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 10 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen French-cut green beans, thawed
Creamy Onion Gravy
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease a large roasting pan.
- In a skillet, cook the CHOPPED onions and the garlic in the butter until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into a large bowl and let cool.
- Add the turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, mustard, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper to the bowl; mix well.
- Shape half of the meat mixture into a 14x4-inch loaf, flattening the top.
- Place the green beans down the center, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Top with the remaining meat mixture, shaping and sealing the loaf to enclose the beans.
- Place the SLICED onions around the meat loaf.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160F and the loaf is firm to the touch.
- Transfer the meat loaf to a cutting board. Leave onions in the pan.
- GRAVY: Place the roasting pan with the sliced onions still in it over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, stirring up onions and any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and milk, then add the remaining 1 cup chicken broth.
- Add flour-broth mixture to the roasting pan; bring to a boil, keep whisking.
- Cook until mixture is thickened.
- Slice meat loaf and serve with gravy.