1/3 Photos of Veggie Dumpling Soup (Vegan)
This is a WONDERFUL hearty meal, for a sick person especially; the veggie version of chicken noodle soup. Great winter soup meal. You could always do the stock in the crock pot, transfer it to the stove, and make the dumplings when you are about ready to eat. But know that the veggies will get super soft this way. If you use eggs and prefer, sub 1/2 cup water with 2 beaten eggs. This will cut the dumpling cooking time to 20 minutes at most altitudes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, cut into rounds (white part only, or 1-inch of greens if they look good)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (dry, or bunch fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley (dry, or bunch fresh)
- 4 small carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, halved the long way, then chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 8 cups water or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Heat oil; add onion, leek, bay leaf, thyme, and parsley.
- 2Cook on a low setting for 10 to 12 minutes until soft and translucent.
- 3Bring up the heat to medium or medium-high.
- 4Add the carrots, celery, and garlic.
- 5Stir occasionally until carrots are done or mostly done, 10 minutes or so. When vegetables are cooked, stir in the nutritional yeast flakes; they will get creamy with the veggies and oil.
- 6Add 8 cups water (2 quarts), and salt.
- 7Cover and bring to a boil.
- 8While water is coming up to a boil (it will do so quickly!) put the dumplings together.
- 10Mix wet in one bowl, dry in another. Pour wet into dry and combine until a heavy dough forms.
- 11Knead on lightly floured surface for 1 minute. If dough is sticky add a bit more flour until it is fairly dry.
- 12Let dough rest 5 minutes.
- 13Roll out to 1/8" thickness and cut into 2 x 1" strips (or whatever size you find easy to work with though they'll take a lot longer to cook if they are bigger).
- 14Drop into boiling broth; cover and simmer 20 to 35 minutes.
- 15The non-egg version needed to cook longer than my original version, but I'm also high altitude. Taste for doneness. They'll seem mealy if they're not done yet. When done they are sort of like thick noodles or a biscuit or something. Yummy and hearty. If in doubt, let them cook another 5 minutes and taste again.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Dumpling Soup (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.5
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 440.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: