Recipe by veggiepig
A vegetarian version of an American classic. Fresh or frozen broccoli and cauliflower may be used, this is what I had on hand at the time. Don't forget to freeze the tofu the night before!
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushroom, sliced
- 0.5 (14 ounce) package frozen tofu, dethawed and cubed (you may substitute seitan)
- 8 ounces broccoli, cut and steamed (I used 1 small crown)
- 0.5 (10 ounce) package frozen cauliflower, dethawed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can olives, sliced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crushed Cheez-It crackers
- olive oil (or butter)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 8X8 inch baking pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a medium sized pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and continue sauteeing until cooked, then add the cubed tofu.
- Pour this mix into the baking dish, then layer the broccoli and cauliflower on top.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mushroom soup, mayo, lemon juice, and curry powder. Add more lemon or curry to taste and pepper to taste, then add the olives.
- Mix half of the cheese into the soup mixture, then pour the mixture over the casserole.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole.
- Sprinkle the cheez-it crumbs on top and spray with oil.
- Bake casserole for 40-45 minutes Let cool for a few minutes before eating.