Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My weight loss KEY! :) This is a great way to eat fresh veggies. It is light, easy to make, and best of all delicious. Cook time is refrigeration. I never get tired of this way of enjoying my veggies.
- 1 cup cauliflower, bite size
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli, bite size
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 onion, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet basil
- Prepare all veggies and place in a cover able bowl. (I use Gladware).
- Mix water, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, and basil in a separate bowl until everything is dissolved.
- Pour over veggies.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before eating, but this will get better and better as it marinates. I have never had a batch last more than 4 days, but I think that would be my limit for storage.
I'm glad I found this because I was trying to find a good way to incorporate more veggies into my diet without having to dip them in salad dressing -- which starts to defeat the purpose. Anyways, the only thing I changed was I substituted yellow bell pepper for the celery since I don't care for celery. Thanks for a healthy snack idea!
I was hesitant to try a sugar/basil mix on cold vegetables, but it was a very pleasant surprise! The flavors are subtle and make a very nice combination. Thanks for getting us out of our rut--we usually douse these veggies in Italian...this is a nice alternative.
I really enjoyed this recipe. The only change i made was to use cilantro in place of the basil. The carrot, celery and zucchini really adsorb the flavour of the marinade. Delicious. Thanks for the recipe.