Recipe by ThatChick
I made this recipe up to find something to serve at an all-vegetarian event that would satisfy people; I needed something fantastic-this is what i came up with, and it's great!
Top Review by RonaNZ
As a vegetarian recipe, this does not fall into the '70s nut loaf category! That is a good thing. Much tastier than the old nut loaf but I felt the sun-dried tomatoes were too much of a good thing. I also felt that the artichokes were wasted in this dish since you couldn't taste or identify them. I would make this again but cut down on the tomatoes, leave out the artichoke and increase the spinach (was it supposed to be a cup of chopped fresh spinach?) . It's a good looking recipe and I think would satisfy meat-lovers too. They wouldn't even know that there was no meat. The creamy mango chutney was superb! not in the instructions: I buttered three sheets of phyllo and then cut into 4 strips so the yield is 12 triangles. Also I added the bread at the same time as the spinach. I used very small peppers and it still made a lot of filling so I tried to cram as much as I could into each triangle.
- 1 cup spinach, finely minced
- 1 (5 ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes, slivered
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) jar artichoke hearts packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- cayenne chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 9 pieces phyllo dough
- pecans, chopped (2 handfuls)
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, crumbled
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee chopped shallots & garlic on medium heat in 1 tsp olive oil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms, orange & red peppers, shallot, pecans and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, untouched.
- Remove from heat and add artichokes, spinach, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- Cut phyllo dough lengthwise into 4 long strips.
- Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon filling about an inch from the end of the phyllo strip.
- Fold phyllo over filling at an angle and continue folding like folding a flag until you have a triangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Chutney Sauce:.
- 1 cup Mango Chutney.
- ½ cup Mayonnaise.
- A dash of curry powder.
- 3 tbspns plain yogurt.