Recipe by JanuaryBride
This is a knock off of a salad that we get at a local restaurant here in Des Peres, Missouri called Gerards. It is pretty close to his recipe and is a wonderful starter to a meal. I love the crunch and the soy in the dressing! Light and healthy!
Top Review by Just_Ducky!!
I must be missing something but the salad dressing didn't do it for me at all. I did enjoy the variety of vegetables in the salad although after my first dish I skipped the lettuce. I also didn't have bean sprouts but I am fond of them so I'm sure I would have liked that as well. The dressing was far too oily though for my taste and too strong a soy flavour for me and I really love soy so I was surprised I didn't enjoy it more. I ended up adding more vinegar, some sugar and powdered ginger to try to make it more palatable but it just didn't work for me at all. I followed the dressing pretty close aside from reducing the amounts. I am thinking with the higher reviews, it must be just my personal taste. Made for team Mischief Makers, ZWT#7, Pacific Islands.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (unsalted preferably)
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all of the lettuce, veggies, sesame seeds and cheese (if you are using it).
- Whisk together soy sauce, vegetable oil, sesame oil and vinegar.
- Drizzle 1/2 over the salad and toss to coat. Add more dressing to taste.
- Finish with cracked black pepper if you like.