1 hr 30 mins
a total rip off of Ed's Chocolate Chili, which utterly rocks - just without the meat
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans red kidney beans (really, really sorry, Ed. We like beans a lot)
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced (vidalia, oso, etc.)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (remove the seeds and membrane from one pepper, use other types of hot peppers if you dare!)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, smashed
- salt and pepper
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 -2 ounce dark chocolate (70% dark preferred)
eds killer chocolate chili seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1Assemble the spice mix into an airtight container ahead of time.
- 2Inside a big, deep pot (about 7 qt), on low heat, slightly brown the tofu.
- 3Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 4SAUTEE/FRY the veggies for a few minutes with the tofu.
- 5Season the veggies lightly with salt and pepper.
- 6Make a little space on the bottom of the pan.
- 7Add the tomato paste
- 8Cook the paste for a minute, then mix everything in the pot together.
- 9Add the crushed tomatoes and beans.
- 10Season with a little salt.
- 11Stir in the KILLER COCOA CHILI SPICE MIX.
- 12Keep stirring, keep a very slow boil or a simmer.
- 13Add Lemon juice, Lime juice, Orange juice.
- 14Also add the dark chocolate pieces. Let the heat from the chili melt the chocolate and then.
- 15Set the heat to LOW.
- 16Partially cover and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- 17TURN OFF THE HEAT.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Chocolate Chili
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.3
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 621.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.1 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 19.6 g