Recipe by Goegirl
a total rip off of Ed's Chocolate Chili, which utterly rocks - just without the meat
Top Review by Edward Heller
Thanks for the credit. Technically, my original recipe ( http://www.food.com/recipe/eds-chicago-cocoa-chili-chocolate-chili-18414 ) is vegetarian if you just use frozen soy crumbles (check your freezer aisle) instead of meat.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans red kidney beans (really, really sorry, Ed. We like beans a lot)
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced (vidalia, oso, etc.)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (remove the seeds and membrane from one pepper, use other types of hot peppers if you dare!)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, smashed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 cup orange juice
- 1⁄8 cup lime juice
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice
- 1 -2 ounce dark chocolate (70% dark preferred)
eds killer chocolate chili seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Assemble the spice mix into an airtight container ahead of time.
- Inside a big, deep pot (about 7 qt), on low heat, slightly brown the tofu.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- SAUTEE/FRY the veggies for a few minutes with the tofu.
- Season the veggies lightly with salt and pepper.
- Make a little space on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato paste
- Cook the paste for a minute, then mix everything in the pot together.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and beans.
- Season with a little salt.
- Stir in the KILLER COCOA CHILI SPICE MIX.
- Keep stirring, keep a very slow boil or a simmer.
- Add Lemon juice, Lime juice, Orange juice.
- Also add the dark chocolate pieces. Let the heat from the chili melt the chocolate and then.
- Set the heat to LOW.
- Partially cover and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- TURN OFF THE HEAT.