Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is pretty close to the flavor in my pre-vegetarian days chili (used ground beef then) and I love chili mixed up with spaghetti and shredded cheddar cheese. I took Aida Mollenkamp's No Recipe Recipe: Smoky Veggie Chili from the Food Network and tailored it for my veggie chili mac.
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, about 1 cup, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 2 (850.48 g) can black beans
- 396.89 g can tomato sauce
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes with juice
- 709.77 ml vegetable stock
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml cocoa powder
- 9.85 ml sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 453.59 g spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and green pepper and cook until slightly softened. Add the carrots, celery and cook for a few more minutes. Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the oregano, cumin, and chili powder and cook for another minute or two, stirring to mix in spices.
- Add in vegetable stock, tomato sauce, tomatoes and beans. NOTE: I used 1 can pinto and 1 can black beans instead of 2 cans of black beans.
- Add in cocoa powder and sugar.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until thickened about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Stir in cooked and drained spaghetti (do not rinse so chili liquid will "stick" to pasta).
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese (white or yellow).