1/2 Photos of Veggie Chili Mac
1 hr 30 mins
This is pretty close to the flavor in my pre-vegetarian days chili (used ground beef then) and I love chili mixed up with spaghetti and shredded cheddar cheese. I took Aida Mollenkamp's No Recipe Recipe: Smoky Veggie Chili from the Food Network and tailored it for my veggie chili mac.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, about 1 cup, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions and green pepper and cook until slightly softened. Add the carrots, celery and cook for a few more minutes. Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook for a few minutes to soften.
- 3Add the oregano, cumin, and chili powder and cook for another minute or two, stirring to mix in spices.
- 4Add in vegetable stock, tomato sauce, tomatoes and beans. NOTE: I used 1 can pinto and 1 can black beans instead of 2 cans of black beans.
- 5Add in cocoa powder and sugar.
- 6Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until thickened about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, if needed.
- 7Stir in cooked and drained spaghetti (do not rinse so chili liquid will "stick" to pasta).
- 8Serve with shredded cheddar cheese (white or yellow).
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Chili Mac
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 683.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 19.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: