Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
No meat is added in here! Instead an interesting ingredient that has the texture of ground meat...bulgar wheat!! Also, there is pumpkin that makes this smooth and creamy with lots of vitamin A. Who can ask for anything else?? This came from Woman's Day magazine (May 2008)
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sodium-free chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can100% pumpkin puree
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Put 3 cups of the water and the bulgur in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high until bulgur is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion and pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Add chili powder, garlic and cumin; sauté until fragrant.
- Add remaining 2 1/2 cups water, the tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini and corn; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in beans and bulgur; heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.