Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Delicious veggie pie, with eggplant crust. Fills the house with a wonderful aroma while cooking! From Becel
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped (or half a large fennel bulb)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 plum tomatoes, medium,sliced
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/4 lb)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Prehead oven to 450f degrees.
- Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Toss eggplant slices with melted margarine;place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Place fennel and onion on baking sheet; bake 5 to 7 minutes more or until fennel is softened.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce temperature to 375f degrees.
- In a 9 inch pie plate arrange eggplant slices, slightly overlapping, to cover bottom and sides.
- Mix fennel and onion with the basil and lemon juice; spoon over eggplant slices.
- Arrange the tomato slices over the fennel mixture.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over tomato slices.
- To make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano and pepper.
- Sprinkle over mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
- Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
I changed this recipe in two ways. I do not like fennel, so I left it out, and I am on a diet which doesn't allow me to combine breadcrumbs with cheese, so I left the crumbs out as well. In spite of these two changes, this was fantastic! To compensate for the missing fennel I used a large eggplant instead of a medium-sized one. This was a wonderful light supper with an Israeli salad on the side. A great dish for anyone who is Somersizing or on the Atkins diet (just leave out the breadcrumbs)!