To jump-start a diet in which he lost 60 lbs, chef Richard Blais followed a vegan diet for the first 30 days. One of the recipes he came up with is this one, for which he discovered that ground dried porcini provide a meaty flavor. The recipe is served open-faced on half a burger bun, but you might want to opt for a whole bun.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- 1/2 lb white mushroom
- 1 cup shelled edamame, steamed
- 2 1/2 cups cooked green lentils or 2 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 2 cups cooked israeli couscous
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground dried funghi porcini
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 -6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- mesclun, tossed with lemon juice
- sauteed mushroom
- 1In a food processor, combine the raisins and almonds and process until finely chopped.
- 2Add the mushrooms and process until coarsely chopped.
- 3Add the edamame, lentils and half the couscous and process until coarsely chopped.
- 4In a small bowl, stir the curry powder into the lemon juice and add to the processor along with the porcini and process to a coarse paste.
- 5Remove to a bowl, fold in the remaining couscous and season with salt, to taste.
- 6Form the mixture into 6 patties, about 1 in thick.
- 7In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the patties and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- 8Combine the ketchup with the pomegranate molasses.
- 9Arrange the bun halves on plates, and spread them with the pomegranate ketchup. Place a patty on each bun, top with mesclun greens and sauteed mushrooms. Top with second half of bun, if using. Serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Burgers With Pomegranate Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.2
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 346.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.3 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 38.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried funghi porcini