1/1 Photo of Veggie Burgers, Veggie Steaks, Veggie Sausages, the Lot!
24 hrs 30 mins
Bunny Mazonas's Note:
I love meat, but often can't afford it, especially with the economy taking a nose-dive and food generally being so expensive. So. When the end of the month draws near, and food stocks in the cupboard run low, here is a quick fix to help bulk out your cupboard. I have added specific ingredients, but remember that this is an emergency stash using recipe; substitute where ever you need to. The recipe that follows is for a chicken-like meat substitute, but can be altered to suit your tastes. The following recipe makes approximately 12 "meat" patties, or enough to fill a generous meat portion of 2-3 meals for 2 people. Prep time includes soaking beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add butter beans to a pan, and cover with boiling water, with an inch of water to spare. Leave to soak 24 hours. (If in a rush, buy canned beans and use 2-3x quantity).
- 2Add onions and garlic to a food blender and pulse until finely chopped. Add beans and pulse again for 10-20 seconds. Add other vegetables, nuts, etc and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
- 3Add salt and chicken stock and stir thoroughly.
- 4Fold in flour until mixture becomes a thick, sticky dough.
- 5To cook, form into 12-15 patties, of heaped tablespoon size. Alternately, roll into 2 large loaves. For the smaller patties, fry or grill these in a griddle until golden brown and firm. For larger loaves, bake or roast until cooked through. For "sausages", roll into sausage shapes and shallow fry, turning regularly.
- 6When using "meat" for food, the patties/loaves can be sliced into slivers for stir fries, chopped, sliced for sandwiches, thick-cut and fried as steaks, or slapped between buns to make "burgers".
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Burgers, Veggie Steaks, Veggie Sausages, the Lot!
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.8
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 81.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g