1 hr 15 mins
My family loves garden burgers but a $1 a piece they get pricey. This is the closest I have come to creating a clone. For lacto vegetarians leave out the eggs and they will bind just fine. I haven't tried it without the cheese but it will probably work without a hitch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 green onions
- 2 medium red peppers, roasted/peeled (small to medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups textured vegetable protein (dry)
- 1/2 cup dry vermicelli (thin small pasta)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheese
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- more salt and pepper
- 1Soak dried TVP and vermacelli in 6 cups of hot water for about 20 minutes.
- 2Drain off any excess liquid so that it is as"dry" as possible.
- 3Sautee mushrooms, onion, green onion and salt in the olive oil over med-high heat until moisture is cooked off.
- 4About 10-12 minutes.
- 5In a large bowl, combine sauteed veggies, chopped roasted red pepper and parsley to TVP/vermacelli mixture.
- 6Lightly process 1 1/2 cups of the oats in a food processor and add to above.
- 7In a few batches run the whole lot through the food processor using pulse until it is the well mixed/chopped but not goopy.
- 8Return to bowl.
- 9Mix in eggs and cheese.
- 10Throw some whole oats on the counter and pat into rectangle or whatever shape you like.
- 11Scatter a few more whole oats on top.
- 12Cut with biscuit cutter or wide mouth glass so that they are about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- 13Press out remaining and keep punching them out till all remaining batter is used.
- 14Use a spatula to place them on an oiled cookie sheet.
- 15Freeze and when hard place in baggies.
- 16To serve either grill or cook on stove top with a little olive oil'til heated through.
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (844 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 55.6
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.1 mg
- Sodium 175.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein