Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A homemade substitute for hamburgers, if you ever have a veggie at a party or barbeque. Good, even without bun!
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained,and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- Throw all ingredients in food processor (or blender, if you dont have one).
- Pulse (or blend) until coarsely chopped.
- Chill mixture, then shape into four (4) 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Now you can wrap and freeze them for later.
- To cook, thaw patties in microwave, then broil 4-6 inches from heat for 10 to 15 minutes (or until warm in the middle).
- You can do this in your broiler or on the grill.
- Serve like you do your favorite meat patties!
Good tasting, but mushy. I even added some flour because the mixture seemed so soft. Next time I might use breadcrumbs, we didnt have any on hand. The flavour is nice, though I didnt have kidney beans and so used black beans. The whole patty is pretty mushy though, I'll try leaving it more coarse next time as well.
This is a fabulous recipe. I make it often. I change out the seasoning, veggies, and the type of beans. We love it. Thank you so much for sharing this delightful versatile recipe.
These were horrible red mush burgers. Ate one & threw out the rest.