Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Healthy, hearty meatless stew. Substitute water, vegetable stock or tomato juice for the chicken stock to make this suitable for vegetarians. Source: Light and Tasty, February/March 2002.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 5 tablespoons monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- In a Dutch oven or large suacepan, saute the onions, celery, carrot, red pepper and garlic in 1/4 cup chicken broth and 1 tbsp olive oil until tender.
- Add the beans, can broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro. Simmer until stew thickens (about 5-15 minutes longer).
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream, and green onion.