Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This has become a family favourite. I hope you like it, too.
Make and share this Veggie Bacon Quiche recipe from Food.com.
- 1 uncooked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 cup zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 4 -5 slices bacon, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- parsley or red pepper flakes, to garnish (to garnish)
- Precook piecrust in preheated 350-degree oven (prevents soggy crust).
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon pieces until they are crisp.
- Set bacon aside to drain on paper towel, but do not discard bacon drippings.
- Sauté the onions, zucchini and peppers in the bacon drippings.
- Drain the vegetables well and put them in the precooked crust followed by cheese.
- Blend eggs, mustard, flour, and evaporated milk and pour the mixture into piecrust over other ingredients.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- After about 35 minutes of baking time, spread the cooked bacon pieces over the pie and sprinkle some more shredded cheese on top.
- Pie is cooked when knife comes out clean when inserted in pie.
- Let set for 5 minutes or so before cutting.
- Garnish as desired and serve hot, warm, or cold.
This is a very nice quiche. I followed the directions exactly. When I went to put on the bacon and more cheese after 35 minutes my quiche was done. Next time I will check it at 25 minutes. I like the taste the zucchini had after cooking it in the bacon drippings. I think swiiss or mozzerella cheese would also work really nicely with these veggies. Thanks!