Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
This is a great dish to serve for brunch or even for a comforting dinner. Do plan ahead though, because this dish does have to be refrigerated over night. NOTE: Prep time does not include over night refrigeration or 30 minute rest time prior to baking.
Top Review by Sharon123
I made this using veggie sausage patties, which I crumbled up. I scaled the recipe back to use 2 eggs and it was so yummy for breakfast this morning. I also served some to a friend who came by and he loved it too! I did use whole grain bread. Next time I will use egg beaters and see how that goes. Thanks for a great morning recipe!
- 2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 12 slices bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups spinach leaves, torn
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and bell pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, slat pepper and mustard.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a greased 9x13" pan; cover and refrigerate over night.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees 40 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.