Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
As written - this is also vegan. The recipe makes a lot. It freezes very well. If you eat dairy, garnishes such as sour cream and grated Parm cheese can be used. I love it served with a firm polenta wedge. Black beans can be subbed for the kidney beans. Recaito is an inexpensive, cilantro-based cooking sauce found in the Goya brand section of most grocery stores.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups zucchini, unpeeled grated
- 2 cups zucchini, thin sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow squash, unpeeled chunked
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 (29 ounce) canwhole tomatoes & juice
- 2 tablespoons recaito (optional sauce)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (I use this -- Chili Powder)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chunked
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large chili pot.
- Sauté all zucchini, squash, celery and chopped onion til tender - about 9 minutes.
- To the pot, add the sauce ingredients to the zucchini mixture.
- Simmer slowly, uncovered, 1-1/2 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Add olives, kidney beans, mushrooms, chunked onion, optional pepper. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve over slabs of firm polenta or rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro.