Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This recipe originaltes from the May 1, 2004 issue of Vegetarian Times Magazine. Be careful not to overprocess if you're chopping the ingredients in a food processor. As an alternative to boiling the wontons you could fry them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 7 dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked in hot water to rehydrate
- 1/2 lb fresh spinach, rinsed and trimmed
- 6 large chinese cabbage leaves or 6 large american cabbage leaves, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 -3 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 50 wonton wrappers (3 inch round)
- 1Wonton Dumplings:
- 2Dry carrots, tofu, mushrooms, spinach, cabbage, garlic and cilantro thoroughly with a clean tea towel or paper towels.
- 3Place in food processor, and chop very finely.
- 4Place vegetable mixture into a large bowl.
- 5Mix together egg, ginger, soy sauce, cornstarch, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and salt, then add to vegetable mixture, mixing well.
- 6Drain any excess liquid from mixture.
- 7Place wonton wrappers, one at a time, on flat work surface (keep the rest of the wrappers from drying out by covering with a damp tea towel).
- 8Place a spoonful of mixture on center, brush water around edges of wrapper and crimp shut to seal.
- 9Repeat process until all ingredients are used up.
- 10Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 11Add wontons, 12 at a time to water, and cook for about 4 minutes, or until dumplings float to surface.
- 12Use a slotted skimmer to remove from water, and set aside in a bowl.
- 13(don't allow the wontons to touch while still hot or they may stick.
- 14Dipping Sauce:
- 15Thoroughly mix all sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- 16To serve, arrange wontons on a platter, and pass with Dipping Sauce.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Wonton Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.5
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 22.3 mg
- Sodium 833.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese black mushrooms