Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, cut in large dice
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut in large dice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons spicy chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package red pearl onions or 1 (10 ounce) package white pearl onions, cut in half through root end
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
CORNBREAD COBBLER TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, chile powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Saute, stirring often, until the mixture is juicy, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Place the pearl onions in the boiling water; blanch about 1 minute.
- Transfer onions to ice water.
- When cool, peel them.
- Set aside.
- Add the stock to the sauteed vegetables, stirring to scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sweet potatoes and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and pearl onions.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Strain the liquid from the vegetables into a large pot.
- Stir together the water and cornstarch.
- Bring the stew liquid to a boil; keep at a simmer as you slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly, until the liquid thickens.
- Divide the vegetables between 2 large casserole dishes; add the thickened vegetable juices to cover.
- (Save any excess liquid for another use.) Top with large dollops of the cornbread topping.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- CORNBREAD COBBLER TOPPING-------------.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Work in the butter until incorporated.
- Mix in the milk until just moistened.
- Drop large spoonfuls of dough on top of the stew until almost completely covered but still lumpy on top.
Very good recipe, with a nice blend of flavours. The instructions however, are more complicated than is required. We didn't have pearl onions, so we used a white sweet onion cut into chunks instead. We halved the recipe, and it fit nicely in a 9 x 13 cake pan.
This dish was so yummy. It smelt amazing while cooking and tasted even better!