My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, cut in large dice
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut in large dice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons spicy chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package red pearl onions or 1 (10 ounce) package white pearl onions, cut in half through root end
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
CORNBREAD COBBLER TOPPING
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium-low heat.
- 3Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, chile powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- 4Saute, stirring often, until the mixture is juicy, about 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water.
- 6Place the pearl onions in the boiling water; blanch about 1 minute.
- 8Transfer onions to ice water.
- 9When cool, peel them.
- 10Set aside.
- 11Add the stock to the sauteed vegetables, stirring to scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan.
- 12Add the sweet potatoes and tomato paste.
- 13Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 14Add the cauliflower and pearl onions.
- 15Cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender.
- 16Strain the liquid from the vegetables into a large pot.
- 17Stir together the water and cornstarch.
- 18Bring the stew liquid to a boil; keep at a simmer as you slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly, until the liquid thickens.
- 19Divide the vegetables between 2 large casserole dishes; add the thickened vegetable juices to cover.
- 20(Save any excess liquid for another use.) Top with large dollops of the cornbread topping.
- 21Bake about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- 22CORNBREAD COBBLER TOPPING-------------.
- 23Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- 24Work in the butter until incorporated.
- 25Mix in the milk until just moistened.
- 26Drop large spoonfuls of dough on top of the stew until almost completely covered but still lumpy on top.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Winter Vegetable Stew with Cornbread Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.7
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.1 mg
- Sodium 1003.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red pearl onions