Recipe by Shianne
A recipe I got from a friend a few years ago. My mother used to make it for me before I went vegetarian and I recently changed it to suit my diet. It's great for cold winter days and is even better as leftovers.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 diced onion
- 3 diced garlic cloves
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (substitute option-chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- 3 (15 ounce) cansgreat dry northern white beans (substitute option-pinto beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can rotel (tomatoes with green peppers)
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (substitute option- Mexican blend)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add spices.
- Add beans, Rotel, broth, and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for one hour.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Chef's note: If desired, substitute vegetable broth with chicken broth and add 1 pound of cooked, shredded chicken before simmering. I assure you, it's wonderful without the meat, though.
- Also, if you want to cut down on the spice, leave out the hot sauce.