This soup is not only filling but healthy as well. Easy to make and very tasty.
Make and share this Vegetarian White Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup uncooked navy beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced cabbage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 -8 cups water
- Soak beans for 20 minutes in enough lukewarm water to cover.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and garlic, cook and stir until tender.
- Drain the beans and add them along with the potatoes, carrots, celery, cabbage, parsley, bouillon, bay leaf and 6 cups water to Dutch oven.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 1-1 1/4 hours or until beans are tender; adding additional water if necessary.
This soup tasted delicious, but the beans took so long to cook that all of the other vegetables became complete mush. Next time I make this I will be using canned beans. Otherwise a very good recipe!
I loved this soup! It was simple and very satisfying. I used a pound of dried great northern beans and more water and also added some chicken stock. Thanks for sharing!
I cheated a bit, I used two cans of white kidney beans, as I don't like navy beans and didn't want to take the time to soak beans, etc. I used 6 cups of water and I don't have bouillon granules, I used Better than Bouillon vegetable soup base. I also added a little salt. Oh, and I pureed half of the veggies, just before serving, because I was really wanting a creamy white bean soup. There are six of us, but two are under 5, yet we had NO left overs.