Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love french bread pizza, this is the best.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 loaf frozen French bread dough or 1 loaf pizza dough or 1 loaf italian bread dough or 1 loaf all-purpose bread dough
- 1 cup italian tomato sauce
- Saute vegetables in oil, drain and cool.
- Stir in cheese.
- Roll dough into a 1/2-inch-thick circle.
- Put on a 12-inch pizza pan or 10-inch pie plate.
- Spread Italian Tomato Sauce on pizza.
- Spoon vegetable mixture over sauce.
- Bake pizza at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool, cover with heavy aluminum foil and freeze.
- To serve, thaw and heat in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes.
I made this on a freshly prepared pizza crust, and it was okay, although not sensational. I liked that it could more or less be made from vegetable leftovers from other meals and was healthy as far as pizza goes, but it tasted a bit too mushy for me.
This is so versatile if you don't have any readymade pizza crust and no time to make one from scratch. We left out the zucchini and used portabella mushrooms...with caramelized onions, amazingly delicious.