Recipe by Sweramsan
Got tired of all the sweetness of baking, So I decided to try baking something savory, low cal and a lots of veggies! For those who are vegans they may substitute soy mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
- 2 ready-made pie crusts, sheets or
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water
For Pie filling
- 1 sweet potato, boiled
- 1 idaho potato, boiled
- 1 cup broccoli floret, you may retain the stems too if you like
- 1 cup cauliflower floret, well washed
- 1 cup frozen spinach or 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. For pie crust. Warm up the milk and add the yeast mix well and keep aside till it bubbles. Mix the flour, salt, olive oil, honey. Add the yeast mixture and as much water needed to make a smooth ball of dough. Keep covered for 4 hours.
- 2. For filling, scrape the skin for dust and boil both the potato and sweet potato. Peel and mash them two. add the broccoli, spinach and cauliflower along with the salt, garlic salt, half of dry basil powder, paprika and softened butter. incorporate well. You may mash completely or leave chunks for texture as desired.
- 3. Roll out the risen dough into 2 big circles. One an inch more than the other to cover the pan you will be using to bake.
- 4. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Grease the pan lightly and place the bigger circle of dough. Pour out and spread the filling and sprinkle the cheese on top. Cover with the other circle of dough and press to seal. Poke a few holes on the top to let steam out. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle the rest of the dry basil leaves.
- 5. Reduce the oven to 350 degrees, place the pie to bake for 28-30 minutes. At half time sprinkle a little more olive oil on top.
- 6. After it turns light golden brown remove and keep aside to cool and enjoy it slightly warm.
- Best comfort food for anytime of the year.