Prep1 hr 15 mins
This is from my dad, who developed some vegan recipes after my sister became a vegan. This doesn't have any cheese, and you don't miss it.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110-120 deg. F)
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 ounce fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Italian plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, thick sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- Mix water, yeast and sugar and let stand 10 minutes to start bubbling.
- Add flour to yeast mix and blend well.
- Place in a greased or oiled bowl, and cover with a warm damp cloth.
- Allow to rise in a warm place until double in bulk, around 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and pat out onto an oiled (or cornmeal dusted) pizza pan to form the crust.
- Bake in a preheated 450° F oven for 7 minutes. Crust may be refrigerated or frozen at this point. If using right away, turn oven down to 350°F.
- Place olive oil, basil, garlic, ketchup, pine nuts, and lemon juice in blender and process until smooth.
- Spread mixture onto baked pizza crust evenly.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms and onions (or whatever you like, really) and bake at 350° for 10 minutes.