Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is adapted from Vegetarian Times and is just about the best meatloaf ever - vegan, vegetarian or 'carnivorian' ... it's the 'meatloaf' sandwich recipe - http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10244 - I've added nutritional yeast to boost the flavor and add B vitamins. My Domestic Accomplice's daughter made this for Christmas ... it was better than the turkey! You may also add mushrooms and/or red or green bell pepper, chopped and sauteed. I also use lemon pepper rather than regular pepper. And if you're on a stricter low-carb diet, you can substitute half of the rolled oats with flax seed meal.
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2 celery ribs
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package firm tofu
- 10 ounces textured soy protein granules
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grind walnuts in food processor to a powder and set aside.
- Reconstitute soy granules in hot water or vegetable broth according to package directions.
- Coat medium skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add chopped celery and onion and garlic and saute 4-5 minutes or until tender and remove from heat.
- Mash drained tofu in large bowl.
- Mix in walnuts, vegetables, drained soy granules, oats, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, mustard and poultry seasoning and ketchup - salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and spoon mixture into pan and press.
- Spread a layer of ketchup or barbecue sauce over this, if you like.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until inserted knife comes clean.
I made this for my daughter who has just become a vegan. Could have fooled me... The flavoring was great and the texture was spot on. I had enough mix to make two loaves, so I added double mustard, ketchup and soy sauce. I was also out of poultry seasoning, so I substituted sage, rosemary and onion powder. Lastly, my loaf was a bit crumbly when I cut into it. I'm thinking about adding egg substitute the next time to keep it together. Fantastic!
Take it from a meat eater - this was really good. I am two weeks into a 3 week vegan health cleanse & I was really craving something closer to what I am used to eating and this hit the spot. Very flavorful, the texture was superb, and I found the dish to be very satisfying. My meat eating significant other gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up.
My sister shared some with me. I love it and will make one for myself soon.