Recipe by One Happy Woman
This is adapted from Vegetarian Times and is just about the best meatloaf ever - vegan, vegetarian or 'carnivorian' ... it's the 'meatloaf' sandwich recipe - http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10244 - I've added nutritional yeast to boost the flavor and add B vitamins. My Domestic Accomplice's daughter made this for Christmas ... it was better than the turkey! You may also add mushrooms and/or red or green bell pepper, chopped and sauteed. I also use lemon pepper rather than regular pepper. And if you're on a stricter low-carb diet, you can substitute half of the rolled oats with flax seed meal.
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2 celery ribs
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package firm tofu
- 10 ounces textured soy protein granules
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grind walnuts in food processor to a powder and set aside.
- Reconstitute soy granules in hot water or vegetable broth according to package directions.
- Coat medium skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add chopped celery and onion and garlic and saute 4-5 minutes or until tender and remove from heat.
- Mash drained tofu in large bowl.
- Mix in walnuts, vegetables, drained soy granules, oats, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, mustard and poultry seasoning and ketchup - salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and spoon mixture into pan and press.
- Spread a layer of ketchup or barbecue sauce over this, if you like.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until inserted knife comes clean.