Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have the recipe posted for Chicken Casserole, but since my family went meatless this is the version we make instead. I have to say it's just a wonderful, maybe even better! Really good served with a salad and brussel sprouts.
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup light vegetable stock
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup melted margarine
- 8 ounces Pepperidge Farm stuffing
- 1 (5 ounce) package vegetarian chicken pieces (I use Light Life Chick'N strips)
- Mix together the Chick'N strips (thawed), can cream of celery soup, light vegetable stock and sour cream in one bowl.
- In a second bowl combine the melted margarine and stuffing.
- Now layer in a casserole dish- first the Chick'N mixture, then stuffing, then Chick'N mixture, and finish with stuffing.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
It was very blizzardy out here in Indiana today. I thought, what better comfort food than this? I wasn't too thrilled about all the fat in this recipe so I tried to change it a little. Can't use LF sour cream (it has gelatin - a no no for vegetarians), but I did use light soup and dispensed with all the butter. This was every bit as delicious as the meat-filled original. In the future, I would skip the sour cream. I don't think it adds a lot to the final product. I would make the recipe as it appears on the back of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing package. I also used Morningstar Farms seasoned chik'n strips. Served it with mashed potatoes and a salad and DH had 2 helpings. It was very good. Thanks for sharing it.