Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
Brown rice and beans provide the base of this tostado. A Tex-Mex salad makes the topper. Serve as an appetizer, side dish or light meal. I make this using leftovers. Next time your cooking brown rice (or any rice) cook a little extra and heat some leftover beans in the micro to top the rice. Add some grated cheese if you like.
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1⁄2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup canned pinto beans, black beans or 1⁄2 cup red beans, rinsed and drained, heated
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely shredded mixed greens or 1 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon sliced pitted ripe olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons purchased salsa
- 1 tablespoon light sour cream
- 1⁄4 medium avocado, peeled and sliced
- lightly fry (or oven bake) the tortilla until crispy.
- On a serving plate, layer tortilla, rice and beans.
- Top with shredded greens, tomato, onion, carrot, olives, salsa, and sour cream.
- Garnish with thin avocado slices.