1/2 Photos of Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
A great soup for lunch from epicurious.com. I sometimes add more spices, and sometimes I also create a garnish by frying corn tortilla strips with some non-stick cooking spray. You may top with fat-free or lowfat sour cream, and cilantro. Sometimes I also add some shredded muenster or other shreddable cheese on top. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups canned vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 24 inches corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch-wide strips
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno chiles
- 1Spray large nonstick saucepan with vegetable oil spray.
- 2Add onion and garlic; cover and cook over medium-low heat until almost tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in tomato paste, cumin and chili powder.
- 4Add broth and 2 tablespoons cilantro; bring to boil.
- 5Reduce heat; cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
- 6(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Add tortillas, tomatoes, beans, zucchini and jalapeñp to soup.
- 7Cover; simmer until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Ladle soup into bowls.
- 10Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.6
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 209.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
canned vegetable broth