A great soup for lunch from epicurious.com. I sometimes add more spices, and sometimes I also create a garnish by frying corn tortilla strips with some non-stick cooking spray. You may top with fat-free or lowfat sour cream, and cilantro. Sometimes I also add some shredded muenster or other shreddable cheese on top. Enjoy!
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups canned vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 24 inches corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch-wide strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2⁄3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno chiles
- Spray large nonstick saucepan with vegetable oil spray.
- Add onion and garlic; cover and cook over medium-low heat until almost tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin and chili powder.
- Add broth and 2 tablespoons cilantro; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Add tortillas, tomatoes, beans, zucchini and jalapeñp to soup.
- Cover; simmer until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.