Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this on allrecipes.com, and it had a lot of rave reviews. My husband was a vegetarian for many years, and sometimes he just doesn't want meat. I'll keep this for him.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen onion and three pepper blend
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 (4 ounce) canschopped green chili peppers, drained
- 4 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the pepper and onion stir fry mix, garlic, and cumin, and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Mix in the tomatoes and chile peppers. Pour in the broth, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Mix corn into the soup, and continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls over equal amounts of tortilla chips.
- Top with cheese and avocado.
As written, this was a good soup, but not outstanding. With cumin as the only spice, I thought it lacked dimension. I ended up adding a little chile powder (pure chile, not the spice blend) and a dab of Recipe #279702. I also added yellow squash for extra veggies. Even with those changes, this soup was super easy. I served it over baked tortilla chips with the suggested garnishes. I will certainly make it again when I need something quick and easy on a cold day. Served it with a tossed salad with Recipe #219409 to round out the meal. Made for Bargain Basement Tag Game.