I got this from Simply Delicious Vegetarian, by Carla Bardi.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces ripe tomatoes
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese, drained and crumbled
- 2 eggs, beaten until foamy, plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 cups olive oil or 2 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and slip off the skins. Remove the seeds, chop coarsely, and let drain.
- 2Mix the ricotta and egg yolks in a large bowl until smooth. Add the tomatoes, parsley, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Form the mixture into croquettes of about 2 inches long and 1 inch thick. The mixture should be firm; if it is too runny, add 1-2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs or freshley grated Parmesan cheese.
- 3Dredge the croquettes in the flour, dip them in the egg, and roll in the bread crumbs.
- 4Heat the oil in a large frying pan until very hot. Fry the croquettes in small batches until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 5Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Tomato Croquettes
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1386.9
- Calories from Fat 1117
- Total Fat 124.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.0 g
- Cholesterol 237.7 mg
- Sodium 307.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 20.5 g