Recipe by snickels
This is my favorite soup. I've tried it many ways and this is my absolute favorite. It is adapted from "Thai Vegetarian Cooking" by Vatcharin Bhumichitr. I always put too many things in it but this recipe is restrained and beautiful. Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a meal.
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot or 1 inch galangal
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, i don't add it) (optional)
- 4 small chilies, crushed (or more)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the coconut milk with lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, soy, chilis, sugar and stock.
- Simmer with the lid on the pot ten minutes and strain.
- Put strained soup base into.
- Simmer until cauliflower is al dente.
- Remove from heat and lemon juice.
- Stir once, place in bowls and garnish with cilantro.
- (optional) pour a teaspoon of sesame chili oil on top for more kick.
- *I am lucky enough to have a kaffir tree but if you cannot find kaffir leaves use lemon leaves (meyer lemon works well) or lime zest as a last resort.
- **Cauliflower is used in the book and works wonderfully with this soup but i like to mix it up and use mushrooms, tofu, tomatoes, water chestnuts, bell peppers, and even vermicelli noodles.