Recipe by Robin in Kansas
I developed this recipe by taking the things I liked best from many recipes I have tried. This is lacto-ovo and does not use fish sauce.
Top Review by Tamarisk
Yummy! I was worried about not putting garlic in with the onions (like I normally would do) and I would never in a million years have tried putting basil in thai- but it was good! I didn't add the water, and I thickened it a bit at end. Tofu would have been nice in it, as would a bit more vege (I only had 4 cups). My non vege husband also liked it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon red curry paste or 1 -2 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, snipped or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 (10 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 -5 cups vegetables, fresh, cut into bite sized pieces (broccoli, mushrooms, peas, cauliflower, zuchinni, asparagus,)
- jasmine rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan warm oil.
- Add onions and sauté until clear.
- Add curry paste and heat for 1 minute.
- Add broth and coconut milk.
- Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes (you could use this 5 minutes to chop vegetables).
- Add all other and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over jasmine rice.