Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In response to my friends who have chosen to be vegetarian, I took this recipe that I grew up with and modified it to be vegetarian and be full of flavour. It's slightly more work than the meat version, but I think it turned out to be worth the extra effort.
- 1⁄2 cup dried beans (Pinto, Navy, Black, etc.)
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups salsa
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- soak beans overnight.
- cook beans until tender, drain.
- make roux.
- using 2 Tbsp.
- oil, brown the flour until dark brown.
- dice onion and bell pepper.
- saute onion and pepper until onion is golden.
- add all ingredients to casserole dish.
- bake 45 min.
- @350 F.
Great recipe! I'm veggie, and always appreciate a delicious meatless dish! But you can cheat a bit and add those Morningstar Recipe Starter faux meat crumbles, if you want this recipe "meatier." This actually looks vegan, but if your friends eat dairy, a bit of Monterey Jack melted over it would be tasty. And a tsp of Worcestershire never hurt a dish...