Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Found in cooking light. I love a vegetarian recipe that doesn't taste less...
Make and share this Vegetarian Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup jalapeno jack cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 6 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- Combine tomatoes and boiling water; let stand 20 minutes.
- Drain tomatoes in a sieve over a bowl; set aside, reserving 1 Tbs tomato-soaking liquid.
- Combine 4 cups water, cornmeal, and salt in a large saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook cornmeal mixture over medium heat 5 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Stir in cheese.
- Pour half of cornmeal mixture into a lightly greased Pyrex pan, 13 x 9.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in a little olive oil til onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes, reserved tomato liquid, oregano, chili powder, beans, corn, and chiles, and cook 1 minute.
- Spoon bean mixture evenly over cornmeal crust.
- Drop remaining cornmeal mixture onto bean mixture.
- Bake pie at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until set.
- Serve pie with low-fat sour cream.
yummy recipe! my only deviations were to add soyburger meat (after sauting w/onion & a little garlic), a little shredded zucchini. i only used black beans since i didn't have navy beans on hand. thanks! :)
I actually used the main filling part of this (minus the cheese) as a filling for vegan tamales. It was a great start for making those. I can't comment on the whole recipe as written but will say THANK YOU for the idea for a tamale that didn't require meat.
This pie has a wonderful flavor, my husband and I just love it. Because there are only two of us, I baked it in two smaller dishes, which turned out very well. There is a problem with the liquidy issue right after it's been baked. However, I made it in the morning and put it in the fridge all day for dinner. The pie had enough time to set, and was just fine. This pie is worth the effort. It's VERY flavorful.