Recipe by Happy Harry #2
As I try to limit my intake of meat, I am always thrilled to be able to come up with a recipe that meets my "meat tooth". This is so quick and easy for a week night supper.
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained, saving liquid
- 12 ounces frozen vegetarian ground beef, pre-cooked, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup green taco sauce (or your preference)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (your choice,I use cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional) or 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, both white and green, large chop
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix (or make your own)
- 2 egg whites
- Combine all ingredients except cilantro and cornbread.
- If mixture appears too loose, mix 1 tbls of cornstarch or arrowroot with saved kidney bean water until smooth.
- Stir into mixture.
- Spray a 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish.
- Pour mixture in and smooth out.
- Make cornbread as directed on package.
- (Use the egg whites in place of whole egg).
- Add cilantro into cornbread mix.
- Top casserole with mixture,sealing to edges.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown.