Recipe by Andtototoo!
This recipe, slightly adapted, is originally from Sunset Magazine. I have had this recipe for decades. The filling is a little strong, but once you add the garnishes such as cheese, sour cream, tomatoes and lettuce, it's perfect.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 lb zucchini, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn
- salt, as needed
- 8 -12 corn tortillas or 8 -12 flour tortillas, as needed
- 3 diced tomatoes, as needed
- 4 cups shredded lettuce, as needed
- 2 cups grated cheese, as needed
- 16 ounces sour cream, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or a dutch oven put the oil, onion, garlic and zucchini.
- Stir-fry the mixture over medium-high heat until it is 3/4 cooked.
- Add 1 1/2 Table. flour and blend.
- Slowly stir in the vegetable broth.
- Add the chili powder and ground cumin and mix again.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to low.
- Add the pinto beans and the corn.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until everything is tender and much of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add salt to taste.
- The mixture will thicken somewhat as it cools.
- To assemble, put the hot filling in either corn or flour tortillas and top with grated cheese, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and sour cream.