Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A vegetarian alternative to this Mexican favorite. My parents are a little leary of my non-meat dishes, but they love Mexican food. And this was a big hit. I was happy...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded, minced (or to taste-can substitute hot sauce or a dash of cayenne for the heat)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 -5 tablespoons of your favorite chunky salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (I like the color this gives the beans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander (your choice)
- 8 taco shells
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- hot sauce
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- black olives
- sour cream
- In large fry pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, celery, red or green pepper, jalapeno, and garlic until softened.
- Add garbanzo beans, spices, and a couple tsp of salsa.
- Stir until heated through.
- I like to fit the taco shells in a baking pan, spoon in filling evenly into the shells and bake in a 300°F oven for 5 minutes or so.
- It helps the shells from falling apart when you take the first bite.
- Remove from oven and top with your favorite toppings.
This recipe is awesome! The only variation I made was to use about a cup of Salsa. My son and I are being vegetarians for 21 days and this is one recipe that is going to carry beyond. Thanks!
This was very good and all three of our children ate it. It was quick, inexpensive, and certainly on the repeat list.
These are great! Can't wait to make them for the bf and sis. I made other recipes online and they were not good. The spices combo is just right here. Some things I did: *To make this quick, I used frozen diced green peppers. And jarred jalepeno pepper (slivers) that I diced. *For nutrition and most importantly flavor, I doubled the veggies. (Highly recommend using 50% veggies, and 50% beans... this is also why I also added in more of the spices). I left out the celery. *I added more of the same spices listed in ingredients, but in the same ratio here (1:1). For cooking: I sauteed the onions good, by themselves on med-low heat for a while. Added jalepeno peppers, and then threw in the green peppers and turned the stoves heat up. Let cook about 7 mins. Added the beans and salsa and salt. This is when I tastes for extra spice. I used Taco Bell hard shell tacos. Easy to cook. Turn them upside down in the microwave and mic for 30-45 secs depending on the quantity (2-4 at a time). Crispy and wonderful. Only needed lettuce these were so good.