Recipe by Braden, Blake and Bren's Mom
Pile sweet sauteed bell peppers and onions into steamed tortillas to make a juicy soft taco. Optional tasty condiments like shredded romaine lettuce, cheese, salsa, and nonfat sour cream, make a yummy taco even yummier!
Top Review by Lvs2Cook
I made these for lunch one day and they hit the spot! I left out the refried beans since I'm not a fan. Super easy and I think you could add your favorite veggies. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
- 1 large green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- shredded romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine peppers and onions in a nonstick skillet.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender but not mushy, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Season with chili powder and salt and pepper.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Heat in oven until hot throughout, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat the beans in a saucepan over moderately low heat.
- Set out bowls of cheese, lettuce, salsa, and sour cream.
- To assemble tacos, spread about 3 T of the hot beans on each tortilla. Top with 1/4 c of the veggies and fold in half to enclose the filling.
- Serve immediately.