Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is off Epicurious website. Looks delicious and was highly rated on that site. Even though the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon chilli - I only put in 1 teaspoon and it is more than hot enough for our family. This is fantastic served with homemade Tortilla on this site.
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 3⁄4 lb plum tomato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup canned dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup canned chick-peas, drained
For the tacos
- 8 hard taco shells
- 1 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- Place the eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Pat dry with paper towels. Meanwhile, heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplant and sauté until almost tender, adding more oil if necessary. Remove to a casserole.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over low heat; wilt the onion, garlic and red pepper for 10 minutes, then add to the casserole. Place casserole over low heat and add the ingredients up through the parsley. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and chickpeas; cook for 15 minutes. The skin of the eggplant should be tender. Adjust seasonings.
- Prepare the tacos: Place 1/4 cup of the cooked veggies in each taco shell. Top with some shredded lettuce and 1 tablespoon each of the onion and tomatoes. Dollop with sour cream and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
Great directions. The Eggplant does need to be salted beforehand, and needs to be cooked longer than the other veggies, so make sure you follow those steps. The consistency of the eggplant mocks that of meat, makes it chewy. I have made this twice and my whole family loves it!