Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
No meat or meat substitutes - great for winter days when fresh veggies are hard to find. Yummy vegetarian taco salad that even my 11 year old enjoys. Polenta corn chips have only 3.5g of fat per ounce - I use SOLEA polenta chips.
- 453.59 g kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 248.05 g corn, drained
- 113.39 g green chilies
- 2-3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 14.79 ml taco seasoning
- 78.07 ml light sour cream
- 946.36-1182.95 ml mixed greens, shredded
- 141.74 g baked corn tortilla chips or 141.74 g polenta corn chips, broken
- Stir first seven ingredients (through sour cream) together in a large bowl until combined.
- Gently stir in mixed greens (greens will wilt if there are leftovers, so I usually just throw the greens on the serving plate!).
- Layer chips on serving plates and top with taco mixture.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings if desired, olives, shredded cheese, taco sauce, etc.
You don't need to be a vegetarian to love this colorful, crunchy salad. The beans make it "meaty." I thought this was super quick to make and super yummy to eat! Being lowfat and healthy is an added bonus. I like my cheese, so I sprinkled shredded cheddar on top. If I had cilantro, I would have garnished with that, too..... next time! Thanx!
Wow! How come no one told me how yummy and easy taco salad is?! Breaking one of my own food rules I had never tried taco salad because it looks "funny". I'm glad I finally did though! We used black bean because kidney beans reminded us too much of chili. I forgot the green onions and used diced tomatoes, drained, instead of the romas. Wonderful dish that will be a oft-served one in the summer when it's too hot to cook!
This was great!!! I made as directed but just had to add hamburger meat for my husband. I crumbled the chips on our plates, added some hamburger meat sprinkled with taco seasoning, added some cheese and then the bean mixture. I added the lettuce separately, as other reviews mentioned. I also didn't mix the sour cream in with the beans, I added it separately. Then served with taco sauce on the side. It was great! Thanks for an awesome meal, can't wait to eat it again tomorrow for lunch!