Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nobody will miss the meat in this colorful, zesty vegetarian taco salad. The rice and bean mixture can be made ahead and the salad quickly assembled at mealtime. This is an awesome salad -- I didn't miss the meat at all!! Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell / From EatingWell magazine May/June 2010.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels, fresh or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 4 large tomatoes (I used 1 can 'original' Ro*tel brand tomatoes with green chilies instead)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄3-1 cup prepared salsa (your preference)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce or 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Coarsely chop 1 tomato (or use the Ro*tel). Add tomato to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 3 tomatoes (or use additional salsa). Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and 2/3 cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese, passing lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa at the table.