Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
An easy taco pie I created after several tries. It is a variation of 3 or four recipes.
- 6 -8 tortillas (I use whole wheat)
- 1 (300 g) package Yve's veggie ground round, Mexican flavour
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pepper (I use orange or red)
- 1 (30 ounce) can black beans
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, mash up black beans until they are a thick paste.
- In a frying pan, sauté the onion and pepper. Once cooked, add the veggie ground round and heat (do not overcook!)
- In a round casserole dish place one tortilla shell on the bottom. Spread the black bean paste over the shell then add some of the "meat" mixture. Top with cheese and another tortilla. Continue layer until bean and meat mixture is used up.
- On the top tortilla add the salsa and spread around. Sprinkle with cheese and green onion.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.
My husband declared this a winner, and the kids loved it too. I made the black beans from dried beans (cooked in the stock pot with vegetable stock, onions & garlic). I used 7 oz of Gimme Lean sausage and brown rice tortillas 'cause that's what I had on hand. Yummmm!!!