This is a great meatless substitute for the seasoned ground beef you find in many Mexican recipes. I use this over nachos, or as a filling for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. Because of the wonderful spices in the mixture, I find that alot of my favorite "meat-eaters" really don't miss the ground beef at all!! ; >
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or to taste) or 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional or to taste)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian ground beef (I like Boca or Litelife Gimme Lean)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add meatless ground burger, water and spices.
- Mix well and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until heated through and water is absorbed.
- Use this mixture to replace the seasoned ground beef in any of your favorite Mexican recipes!
- Another note* One can use 1 cup of TVP in place of the soy crumbles or Boca. You might need a bit more that 1 cup of water to keep mixture from getting too dry.
Delicious every time!! My husband found this recipe a few years ago and boy are we HAPPY! This recipe is simple to follow and has such great flavor. We typically use it for tacos, but have also added it to enchiladas. Even our super picky NON-veg friend devours it! Thanks Kozmic Blues!!